The addition of Farah is likely to further fuel the demand for tickets, which organisers say is "unprecedented" this year.
The 31-year-old athlete, speaking to his one million followers on the social networking site Twitter, said: "Hi guys! I will be running in the Commonwealth Games this year. See you in Glasgow."
Farah, well known for his trademark Mobot head gesture, has not yet revealed which events he will compete in at Hampden Park.
He said he had yet to make his mind up and revealed he is is considering three events.
He said : "1500m/5000m/10,000m? Will let you know as soon as I decide."
It is possible he could attempt the same double as he achieved in the Olympic Stadium in London 2012 in the 5000 metres and 10,000m, or he could decide to compete in just one.
But it is unlikely he will attempt the gruelling task of running the marathon after his coach Alberto Salazar advised him to forget about the discipline until after the 2016 Rio Olympics.
Farah finished eighth on his marathon debut in London last month.
Salazar revealed last month that Farah was "thinking seriously" about competing in Glasgow.
He said at the time: "He hasn't committed but he's open to the idea."
Farah won the 5000m and 10,000m double at London 2012 and broke Steve Cram's 28-year-old 1500m British record last year before turning his attention to the marathon.
Farah is scheduled to run in a special event at the Diamond League meet in Glasgow on July 12, with the Commonwealth Games starting in the city just 11 days later.
The flamboyant athlete had hoped to delay deciding whether to take part in the Commonwealth Games until he had run the Sainsbury's Glasgow Grand Prix in July.
But his hand was forced after Team England insisted its athletics selection panel would meet on June 2, with the squad announced a week later.