Glasgow student wins role in new Star Wars film

A Glasgow student is preparing to enter a galaxy far away after being cast in the new Star Wars film.

Loading Comments
Share
Print
  • Crystal Clarke
    Crystal Clarke
  • Pip Andersen

Crystal Clarke, who is studying drama at the Royal Conservatoire in Glasgow, was given a part in the much-anticipated next instalment of the sci-fi trilogy after attending an open audition for the film.

Thousands of hopefuls turned up at the Glasgow audition which was held in the Science Centre late last year.

Film-makers holding the open auditions said they were looking for a young, beautiful, smart, athletic woman to play a 'street smart and strong' orphaned teenage girl in the movie. They are also searching for a handsome, smart, athletic youngster to fill the role of a 'smart, capable and courageous' man in his late teens or early 20s.

Clarke, who is American, has appeared on stage and screen and is set to be seen in her first feature The Moon and the Sun, alongside Pierce Brosnan and William Hurt in 2015.

Disney and Lucasfilm have announced that British actor Pip Andersen has also secured a part in Episode VII, which will be directed by JJ Abrams. The parkour specialist recently demonstrated his skills in a Spiderman advert for Sony.

Over 37,000 people attended open casting calls, which were held in 11 cities across the US and UK, for the film, with a further 30,000 submitting online auditions.

Kathleen Kennedy, producer and Lucasfilm president, said: "The Star Wars universe has always been about discovering and nurturing young talent and in casting Episode VII we wanted to remain absolutely faithful to this tradition. We are delighted that so many travelled to see us at the open casting calls and that we have been able to make Crystal and Pip a part of the film."

Meanwhile, it has also been announced that production on the new film will be suspended for two weeks after Harrison Ford broke his ankle during filming of the much-anticipated sequel at Pinewood Studios outside London.

Disney announced shooting would be halted for two weeks in August to adjust the production schedule following Ford's injury.

Disney had said earlier that Ford's injury would not cause any delays.

The studio said Episode VII is still "on track" to wrap in the autumn and be released in December 2015.

The accident is believed to have involved a spacecraft door on the Millennium Falcon falling on Ford's leg.

His recuperation was expected to take up to two months.

The film is scheduled for release on December 18, 2015.

Arts and Entertainment

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on Evening Times on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis. If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

170171

Have you got a story?

Contact the news desk on 0141 302 6520 or email news@eveningtimes.co.uk
Games news:

Putting the world to rights

Gail's Gab

The sight of wee dolphins choking to death on discarded supermarket bags helped me change me use reusable shoppers

Times Out

Entertainment

Lifestyle

TV Advert
Cat’s Eyes on Glasgow

Cat’s Eyes on Glasgow

Cat Cubie’s job is to find and share with you the fabulous things the city has to offer, from gigs to gastro.

Janice Bell

Janice Bell

You Couldn't Make This Up

The secret world of the wheelie bin.

Michelle McManus

Michelle McManus

Columnist Michelle McManus is Sussed in the City, and loves to chat about anything and everything.