The White Cart and Black Cart join near Glasgow Airport before decanting into the Clyde between Renfrew and Erskine.
The low-lying semi-island they create between them provided the ideal level ground for an airport.
The White Cart rises near Eaglesham and flows for 26 miles through Busby, Linn Park, Cathcart, Langside, Pollokshaws, Pollok country park and Crookston to Paisley.
The monks of Paisley Abbey took timber and coal from the Clyde up the Cart to the centre of Paisley. At that time, the river was rich in salmon and trout.
As with the Molendinar and the Kelvin, the Carts were harnessed to drive several mills. Dripps Mill in Waterfoot, on the White Cart south of Clarkston, still has a pair of working 19th-century waterwheels.
The White Cart is crossed by numerous bridges, including the Swing Bridge, built in 1923 west of Renfrew. The original swing bridge was built in 1838 because the river is navigable as far as Paisley.
As with other rivers in the area, the White Cart became abominably polluted in the 19th century. At one point Paisley had the reputation of being the filthiest town in Britain.
The White Cart has flooded parts of south Glasgow more than 20 times since 1908.
The Black Cart is less energetic. On its route from Castle Semple Loch via Johnstone it falls less than 90ft over 10 miles, and hence can be sluggish.
The White Cart Way is a four-mile walk between Pollok Park and Linn Park, via Pollokshaws, Shawlands, Newlands, Langside and Cathcart, passing Pollok House and Holmwood House.
It has been speculated that the White Cart, linking parks and patches of countryside, may be a 'green corridor' for the 'big cats' reported from Linn Park through south-west Glasgow to Johnstone and Paisley.