ONE sure way to start an argument in Glasgow is to name one or other outlet as the 'best curry shop in the city'.
There were no such arguments when the Taj Mahal opened in Park Road, Kelvinbridge, in 1954, as it claimed to be the only Indian in the city. Other curry aficionados claim the Green Gates, in Bank Street, was the first to start offering diners tasty bhoonas, eye-watering vindaloos and cooling yoghurt lassis.
The spicy food, once restricted to the Indian 'lascars' who toiled on the decks and in the holds of the hundreds of ships that used to sail in and out of the Clyde, is now practically Scotland's alternative cuisine.
The Taj site, now occupied by the equally venerable Shish Mahal, is still a hot favourite with curry fans.