THE Great Western Road entrance to Glasgow's Botanic Gardens will look both familiar and odd to younger readers.
Sure, the gatehouses are still there today, even if the surrounding shrubbery is now taller, but what are those odd onion domes in the centre of the picture?
It is, as older readers will know, the old Botanic Gardens railway station. Part of the Glasgow Central Railway, the station building was on ground level, and the platforms below ground. The station opened in 1896, closed between 1917 and 1919, and was permanently closed to passengers in 1939. The line itself was closed in 1964.
Sadly, the station building burned down in 1970.
One other survivor from this 1949 picture is the distinctive blue police call box on the corner.