GLASGOW was the toast of the Empire in 1901 as it staged the city's second International Exhibition.
Featuring exhibits and exhibitors from around the world, the tens of thousands of visitors who flocked to Kelvingrove park that year all had to be fed and watered.
Step forward caterer George Mackenzie, who, in partnership with J & W McKillop, created the Royal Bungalow Restaurant on the banks of the River Kelvin.
The enterprising pair also ran other outlets at the event, including the Grosvenor Restaurant and the Grand Avenue Buffet. They also had the monopoly for sales of alcohol.
Despite there being other restaurants and tea rooms, the catering facilities were often placed under heavy strain by the large numbers of visitors.