WHEN the men of Glasgow marched off to war, their wives, mothers, sisters and girlfriends marched into the jobs they left behind.
These girls proved their bottle when they landed jobs at Tennent's Wellpark Brewery, in the city's Duke Street.
Wellpark Brewery was originally known as the Drygate Brewery. It was founded as H&R Tennent in 1740 at Drygate Bridge, near Glasgow Cathedral, by Hugh and Robert Tennent, although brewing had been taking place at the same site on the banks of the Molendinar Burn since 1556, making it the oldest continuous commercial concern in Glasgow.
Sadly, the war also signalled the introduction of strict licensing laws, with early morning, afternoon and earlier evening closing for bars all introduced