n IN April 2012 I fell while crossing the road when a pothole at the kerb got me.

I was injured - ankle, knee, hip and wrist very sore with scrapes and scratches, and though I healed up, I still get pain in my hip going into my back.

I wrote to the council and sent photos, but they said the state of the road was fine. It has not been fixed and is still a hazard. Where do I go from here?

Trip and slip claims can be difficult to establish, as the law requires everyone to take care and look where they are walking.

It depends on how deep and wide the gap where you fell is, and whether the council had a system for checking and repairing pavements, and stuck to it.

I suggest you see a claims solicitor for a more in-depth assessment.

n I GOT into trouble in 1982 and have a criminal record, albeit for a minor offence.

Could that be dragged up, say if I am going for a job or joining a golf club? I am respectable and would not wish a tarnish on my name from some busybody

Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, most agencies and companies are not entitled to know about spent convictions.

There are rules and time limits, but a minor offence from 1982 would be long spent and can stay hidden - unless you were going for a job in certain key areas of care or justice where the time limits don't apply.

n I RECENTLY bought a new-build property. The workmanship is poor, with cladding dislodged, paint peeling and brickwork exposed.

Although the builders have given me verbal assurances the work will be remedied, it still isn't in an acceptable condition two months after I moved in. Is there any legal route I can take to ensure repair is speeded up?

My lawyer isn't pushing hard enough.

Threaten that you will sue them for failing to meet the proper standards of work, and complain to the National House Building Council (NHBC) www.nhbc.co.uk or telephone 01494 735363.

And tell your lawyer you want weekly reports of his/her actions for you.

n MY DOG attacked my neighbours' young son - not seriously, but bit him on the arm.

The parents came round and although it was clear my dog is not dangerous as such - the boy had actually been throwing stones at it - they are really angry and won't listen to reason.

Can they claim against me as the dog owner?

Either the parents can claim on their son's behalf or he can claim (you don't say his age and this matters).

As the keeper or owner of the dog you have strict liability for compensation.

However, such a minor injury would get hardly any financial recompense - all awards are based purely on the extent of injury and suffering.