I have been having bad headaches and am feeling quite sick, faint and dizzy.

Headaches can be caused by many things. Many are harmless and can be managed with pain relief or other simple strategies.

However, if your headaches are persistant, despite pain relief, or keep recurring - as it sounds they do - then you should see your GP and describe them. Once there is a better understanding of the type of headache/where it is/how it comes on etc, clinicians can be clearer about what may be causing it.

If at any time your speech, sight or ability to move normally (including your face) changes with the headache you should seek urgent attention as soon as possible.

Another reason to seek help quickly would be if the headache is associated with vomiting and sensitivity to light.

My dad died of a heart attack at the age of 50. I am 40 now and I have yellow patches above both my eyes. Should I be worried?

A raised level of lipids - fats - in the blood can cause the development of yellow plaques (raised areas) on a number of body parts. Sometime this happens over the elbows or around the eyes.

You have described a potential significant family history of cardio-vascular problems with your Dad dying of a heart attack at the age of 50.

It's important to see your GP, who will discuss this with you. It is possible to assess risk in this area. If people are at risk then there are lifestyle measures and medications that can reduce that and help prevent heart attacks and other problems with the circulation.


Epiphora or watering eyes is when tears are produced without any obvious reason.

It is caused when tears don't drain properly (epiphora) or too many tears are produced (hypersecretion).

Epiphora and hyper-secretion can occur as a result of conditions such as conjunctivitis (inflammation of the eye), an eye injury, or something irritating your eye, such as car fumes.

Watering eyes are most common in babies under 12 months and people over the age of 60. It can affect one or both eyes and can cause blurred vision, sore eyelid skin and sticky eyes.

If the cause is not obvious, your GP may refer you to an ophthalmologist (an eye care specialist), who will examine your eyes and check for blockages in your tear ducts.

If infective conjunctivitis is the cause, your GP may advise you to wait a few days to see if it clears up by itself before prescribing antibiotics. If it's allergic conjunctivitis, you may be prescribed antihistamines.

If the cause is an inward-growing eyelash or a foreign object in the eye, then this can be removed.