FISHING boats are seldom seen in Cowcaddens these days.
These inshore 'smacks' had sailed up the Forth and Clyde Canal from Bowling in 1937 to tie up at the Bergius Yard, off Dobbies Loan, to be fitted with new engines.
Little did local engineer Walter Bergius realise in 1904 when he began his own car business, in Finnieston Street, that the engine he'd invented would become the mainstay off the British fishing fleet.
He soon gave up building cars and bought this boatyard. The engine, with a few minor tweaks, was in production from 1904 to 1968, and many are still in regular service to this day.
The company, now owned by British Polar Engines, is still going strong, and builds modern marine engines at its factory base in Helen Street, Govan.