My ex-partner applied for a store card using my address, as I received it through the post.

He was registered with the council tax three and a half years ago but is now well away. How do I stop him using my address for a previous address? He was staying somewhere else for the three and a half years, so this isn't even his previous home.

You politely return the store card with a letter advising the company that he does not live at your address. It is difficult to stop this happening again until you hear from any other bank, lender or company he is dealing with. You could check with a credit reference agency (CRA) to see what information they have on him and correct it if he has said he is still at your address, but they may not give you what they would regard as private data. You could write to any of the main CRAs and advise them that your ex is no longer at your address in the hope they upload this and share it with other agencies.

How do I find out if a relative left a will? I can give their name, address and date of death but not much more.

If they either left a will or an estate without a will, the sheriff court in the area they lived would have dealt with the confirmation (probate) work and be able to give you information. If no court procedure was required, it is a bit of a needle in a haystack as they may not have used the most local solicitor. The will may have been registered in the Books of Council and Session and a solicitor can do some detective work for you, though you may be spending money with no certainty of a result.

I am currently on sick leave (stress) from work after having been both verbally and physically assaulted by a customer, while acting on behalf of my employers, who on being advised of this occurrence, took no action whatsoever. What is my legal position?

Your employers have a duty of care for all staff, and must put in place a safe working environment, not expose you to avoidable risks and should have carried out a risk assessment of the business generally. Failure to do so may leave them open to a compensation claim by you and even, in extreme cases, the possibility of a health and safety prosecution by the Procurator Fiscal.

My aunt has made me power of attorney. I am doing everything correctly, but I am worried that after her death other family members may criticise my actions, especially as I think we will need to sell the house to pay for auntie's care.

As long as you act as a responsible trustee of your aunt's property and money, you can't be penalised or criticised. As long as you have not kept any money wrongfully, or taken unnecessary financial risks, you are protected. The Office of the Public Guardian can be asked to supervise your actions.