Glasgow as we know it today is very different to a century or so ago - that goes without saying.
But putting aside the physical appearance of the place, there are parts of Glasgow now that weren't part of Glasgow then.
Confused? Don't be. Boundary changes over the years have seen many villages and towns brought under the city umbrella.
It was only in 1912 that the large burghs of Govan, Partick and Pollokshaws became part of Glasgow.
But there are many others, the old village of Strathbungo on the South Side being one example.
And a walk along one of its smallest, out-of-the-way streets reveals a couple of clues to the area's former identity.
March Street nowadays comprises tenements and some modern flats.It connects Nithsdale Street and Nithsdale Avenue.
But the street name harks back to the days when Strathbungo was called Marchtown.
A march is a medieval term for a border, and Strathbungo was surrounded by the marches for the counties of Renfrew and Lanark and the parishes of Govan and Cathcart.
And half way along March Street - at no 22 - stands a sandstone building noticeably more ornate than the rest of the tenements.
At the top of the building is a monogram with the initials RCP interwoven. They stand for Renfrew County Police who policed the area until 1891 when Strathbungo became part of Glasgow.
The building ceased to be a police station in 1893 when it was replaced by an office in Craigie Street.
As for the Strathbungo name, it is generally thought to have been a corruption of Strathmungo after Glasgow's patron saint.
It is now a largely residential area off Pollokshaws Road but, like everywhere else in the city, there are reminders of what used to be.