Can conviction from my past still be dragged up?

n IN April 2012 I fell while crossing the road when a pothole at the kerb got me.

Loading Comments

I was injured - ankle, knee, hip and wrist very sore with scrapes and scratches, and though I healed up, I still get pain in my hip going into my back.

I wrote to the council and sent photos, but they said the state of the road was fine. It has not been fixed and is still a hazard. Where do I go from here?

Trip and slip claims can be difficult to establish, as the law requires everyone to take care and look where they are walking.

It depends on how deep and wide the gap where you fell is, and whether the council had a system for checking and repairing pavements, and stuck to it.

I suggest you see a claims solicitor for a more in-depth assessment.

n I GOT into trouble in 1982 and have a criminal record, albeit for a minor offence.

Could that be dragged up, say if I am going for a job or joining a golf club? I am respectable and would not wish a tarnish on my name from some busybody

Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, most agencies and companies are not entitled to know about spent convictions.

There are rules and time limits, but a minor offence from 1982 would be long spent and can stay hidden - unless you were going for a job in certain key areas of care or justice where the time limits don't apply.

n I RECENTLY bought a new-build property. The workmanship is poor, with cladding dislodged, paint peeling and brickwork exposed.

Although the builders have given me verbal assurances the work will be remedied, it still isn't in an acceptable condition two months after I moved in. Is there any legal route I can take to ensure repair is speeded up?

My lawyer isn't pushing hard enough.

Threaten that you will sue them for failing to meet the proper standards of work, and complain to the National House Building Council (NHBC) or telephone 01494 735363.

And tell your lawyer you want weekly reports of his/her actions for you.

n MY DOG attacked my neighbours' young son - not seriously, but bit him on the arm.

The parents came round and although it was clear my dog is not dangerous as such - the boy had actually been throwing stones at it - they are really angry and won't listen to reason.

Can they claim against me as the dog owner?

Either the parents can claim on their son's behalf or he can claim (you don't say his age and this matters).

As the keeper or owner of the dog you have strict liability for compensation.

However, such a minor injury would get hardly any financial recompense - all awards are based purely on the extent of injury and suffering.

Block list

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on Evening Times on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis. If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.


Have you got a story?

Contact the news desk on 0141 302 6520 or email
A weekly round up of social highlights

A weekly round up of social highlights

Cat's Eyes on Glasgow

The Look Awards, a bra fitting and going veggie at Usha’s.




Gail’s Gab

Gail’s Gab

Gail Sheridan is a mother-of-one and wife to Tommy and she likes to get political with the hot topic of the week in her column Gail’s Gab.

Michelle McManus

Michelle McManus

Sussed in the City

Jam packed with Empire biscuit making.

Janice Bell

Janice Bell

You couldn’t make up half the stuff that happens to PA Janice Bell- some of the jams she gets herself into are worth a story or two.