Can I keep out of deal to appoint factors?

I LIVE in a block of six owner-occupied flats.

Loading Comments

The owners of four of the six want to appoint a factor to deal with grass cutting, repairs, stair cleaning, etc. I don't want this. Can I refuse to get involved?

Unlikely. Check your title deeds, they almost certainly provide for majority rule voting in situations like this. I also suggest you say to the neighbours to limit the appointment to one year initially to see how it goes. If it works well you may even change your mind.

Ten years ago my siblings and I pooled together to buy our parents' council house, and they have since passed away. I want to sell and get my share as I no longer work due to illness. However, I discovered that my brother remortgaged the property in his own name. I have nothing in writing to say I own a share, so what can I do? I am told I have a verbal contract that is enforceable.

Indeed you may. I imagine there is clear evidence of your payment into the pot to buy the house, and that will be key to you getting your full share of its value back.

Also, the property would have to have been bought in your parents' name, and as they have passed away, you would be entitled to a share as a son, assuming they didn't will it to someone else. When financing property for a parent, it is wise to record a standard security in the Land Register. If this was done it will also support you. It is likely that you can get your fair share, but your brother must be bypassed to find out the facts. A solicitor will need to look over the title deeds, the purchase history and parents' estate.

I worked for a company up to general manager level, running the office. Out of the blue I was given a redundancy notice and offered a post as a self-employed driver - which I declined. Is there a time limit to when an employer can re-employ someone for a similar position in the office?

The employer cannot change your contract unless you consent. If he is trying to make you redundant, he cannot fill the same post with a new person for three months. But if he says the job is no longer there, he has to offer you a redundancy package based on genuine, fair decisions. If not, you can take him to tribunal.

I bought furniture to be delivered within 10 days. Four weeks and many e-mails later the bed arrived, missing parts. It took another two weeks to send the parts, still wrong. A week and a half later we got more wrong parts. We asked to cancel the £800 order, but the supplier refused unless we paid a 35% fee. I purchased the furniture with my credit card. Trading Standards advised me that the card company should refund me.

You'll need to sue the credit card firm. You will have to pay a lawyer, but should get your costs back on success.

Careers and Jobs

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on Evening Times on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis. If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.


Have you got a story?

Contact the news desk on 0141 302 6520 or email
A weekly round up of social highlights

A weekly round up of social highlights

Cat's Eyes on Glasgow

The Look Awards, a bra fitting and going veggie at Usha’s.




Gail’s Gab

Gail’s Gab

Gail Sheridan is a mother-of-one and wife to Tommy and she likes to get political with the hot topic of the week in her column Gail’s Gab.

Michelle McManus

Michelle McManus

Sussed in the City

Jam packed with Empire biscuit making.

Janice Bell

Janice Bell

You couldn’t make up half the stuff that happens to PA Janice Bell- some of the jams she gets herself into are worth a story or two.