Can I set up a trust for disabled grandchild?

I BOUGHT a crossword solver for £25 three months ago.

Loading Comments

The LCD panel stopped working, so I contacted the manufacturers.

They claim the LCD is not covered by the warranty. How can this be, as it is the main part necessary for its use?

They are 100% wrong. You have a warranty covered by consumer law that cannot be watered down or limited by any other warranty.

If the crossword solver (I didn't know such a thing existed) is not working, then the sellers - either the manufacturers or a shop - are obliged to have it repaired at no cost to you, or you are entitled to your money back.

The item is not of satisfactory quality and the passage of three months doesn't change that. Consult a solicitor, CAB or trading standards office.

I HAVE several children, and a grandchild who is disabled. I wish to make provision for this grandchild by setting up a trust with some of the money I currently have, and will have when I sell my house.

I believe my other children (other than the grandchild's mother, my daughter) will be unhappy that I have favoured one member of the family. Will creating a trust be effective or will my other children be able to claim a share of the money?

A trust is an ideal vehicle for this. Once you create the trust and the money is transferred to it, that money is no longer part of your property so not part of your estate when you die, and therefore your other children have no claim on it, even in their legal rights.

I WORK nightshift, and park my car in the company's car park, which has CCTV,

One night the system crashed. When I finished my shift I discovered two of my tyres had been slashed and I had to call out a tow truck.

I asked my employers for compensation for the inconvenience and the extra time I had to spend at work sorting things out.

They have refused without an explanation or apology.

The employer has a general duty of care, but I doubt it extends to ensuring your car is totally safe. The CCTV would be regarded as additional voluntary security, rather than an essential requirement.

Check if there is any mention in your contract of employment, but if not, I don't think there is enough to make a formal claim.

I have discovered I fathered a child who is now nine. I know where he and his mother lived. Can I go and see him?

I would not cause trouble or try to take the boy away.

I'd advise you not to turn up unannounced. The chances are you don't have any legal rights to him without a court order, but in any event, the legal test for contact is not parentage, but what is in the child's best interests.

I suggest you make contact by phone or letter and ask if you may see your son. Gauge by the reply if you should then see a solicitor.


Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on Evening Times on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis. If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.


Have you got a story?

Contact the news desk on 0141 302 6520 or email
Games news:

Putting the world to rights

Gail's Gab

My thoughts after Police Scotland are ordered to apologise over IRA interrogation techniques slur.




Cat’s Eyes on Glasgow

Cat’s Eyes on Glasgow

Cat Cubie’s job is to find and share with you the fabulous things the city has to offer, from gigs to gastro.

Janice Bell

Janice Bell

You Couldn't Make This Up

Sun, sea and sangria beats an active break.

Michelle McManus

Michelle McManus

Columnist Michelle McManus is Sussed in the City, and loves to chat about anything and everything.