The centre has given general advice as, until recently, there was not much in the way of facts available.
However, tests have now been completed on 24 different composts and strains of Legionnaires disease was found in 15.
Of the 24 types tested, 22 were shop brands, one was recycled green waste and one was a home produced compost.
The fact that the disease was present in two thirds of tests means the issue is not with one producer and gardeners cannot simply avoid any one brand.
The problem is not unique to Scotland.
The vast majority of compost sold in Scotland is either produced in England or is the exact same compost as is sold throughout the UK.
There have also been several cases in Australia and New Zealand, which brings us to why it is a recent problem.
The UK government has an ongoing programme to eliminate peat use in gardening.
Because of the imminent ban on peat, compost manufacturers have been using different formulas.
This means that they have been using 'green waste' instead of peat.
So it is possible that the new formulation of compost is responsible, although this is yet to be confirmed.
Gardening is a hobby enjoyed by millions of peopleand the vast majority do not come to any harm.
Simple precautions and common sense will prevent any major risk.
Experts are widely agreed the gardener is exposed to Legionnaires either by inhaling microscopic particles or by accidentally consuming water contaminated by the offending compost.
By making sure you wear gloves when handling compost and using it in a well-ventilated area you can minimise any risk.
If you have to work in an enclosed environment then a simple breathing mask will also help.
When opening a new bag of compost use a sharp blade, don't rip the bag open.
Store leftover compost in a cool area out of direct sunlight.
Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently and it is always good practice not to eat, drink or smoke whilst gardening.
Symptoms of this strain of Legionnaires include headaches, diarrhoea or a dry cough, and if you notice any of these, seek immediate medical advice.