What is the glycaemic index?

MY friend keeps mentioning the glycaemic index?

Loading Comments
Share
Print

What is it?

THE glycaemic index (GI) shows how quickly a food containing carbohydrates affects your blood sugar (glucose) level when that food is eaten on its own.

Carbohydrate foods that are broken down quickly and cause a rapid increase in blood glucose have a high GI rating - these include sugar and sugary foods, sugary soft drinks, white bread, potatoes and white rice.

Low or medium GI foods are broken down more slowly and cause a gradual rise in blood sugar levels. They include fruit, vegetables (not dried), pulses and wholegrain foods.

Some low GI foods, such as wholegrain foods, fruit, vegetables, beans and lentils, are foods we should eat as part of a healthy diet.

However, foods with a high GI are not necessarily unhealthy and not all foods with a low GI are healthy. For example, bread, rice and potatoes are high GI foods, while chocolate pudding has a low GI value.

A 'MINI STROKE' or transient ischaemic attack (TIA) is caused by a temporary disruption in the blood supply,resulting in a lack of oxygen to the brain. The effects last for a few minutes and are usually fully resolved within 24 hours.

The main signs of a mini-stroke can be identified by using the FAST test:

l Face - the face may have fallen on one side, the person can't smile.

l Arms - the person may not be able to raise both arms and keep them there.

l Speech - may be slurred.

l Time - if there are any of these signs, it is time to dial 999 immediately.

A person who has a TIA should be treated as soon as possible to minimise the risk of further TIAs or a full stroke.

CAN reheating rice cause food poisoning?

YES, however, it's not the reheating that causes the problem but the way the rice has been stored before it was reheated.

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, a bacterium that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive.

If the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores can grow into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins that cause vomiting or diarrhoea.

The longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that the bacteria or toxins could make the rice unsafe to eat.

Ideally, rice should be served as soon as it has been cooked. If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour).

Keep rice in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating and when you reheat rice, always check that the dish is steaming hot all the way through. Do not reheat rice more than once.

Food and drink

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on Evening Times on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis. If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

162444

Have you got a story?

Contact the news desk on 0141 302 6520 or email news@eveningtimes.co.uk
Games news:

Putting the world to rights

Gail's Gab

Wish you were here reader, I’m lapping up with sun with me in my bikini and Tommy in his 1980s style trunks

Times Out

Entertainment

Lifestyle

TV Advert
Cat’s Eyes on Glasgow

Cat’s Eyes on Glasgow

Cat Cubie’s job is to find and share with you the fabulous things the city has to offer, from gigs to gastro.

Janice Bell

Janice Bell

You Couldn't Make This Up

Ah the Glassgow banter, you just canne beat it.

Michelle McManus

Michelle McManus

Columnist Michelle McManus is Sussed in the City, and loves to chat about anything and everything.