Every story, from the area's shipbuilding and industrial heyday to the juicy scandals emanating from the old police courts, was documented in the pages of the Govan Press.
All newspapers are important to the communities they serve - and the proprietors of the Govan Press made sure locals were well aware of this.
The impressive red sandstone building at 577-581 Govan Road is decorated with carvings of the great men who shaped the industry.
Panels between the first and second floor windows bear busts of printing pioneers Johannes Gutenberg and William Caxton and writers Sir Walter Scott and Robert Burns.
Side by side in the centre are busts of newspaper owner John Cossar and his wife Jane - the building was often known simply as the Cossar Building.
As old newspaper offices go it is striking and deserves its B-Listing from Historic Scotland.
The one minor problem Mr Cossar couldn't undo was that Gutenberg's name was carved with an extra 't' - a warning to all of us in the media not to get too far ahead of ourselves.
Architect Frank Stirrat was the man responsible for the design of the building in 1890.
It contained the newspaper offices and there were printing sheds at the rear which are long-demolished.
Families now live in flats where once local journalists typed up the stories of old Govan.
The Govan Press closed down in 1983 and was revived in 2006. It is now based in the Orkney Street Enterprise Centre.
As for John Cossar and his son Tom, they became pioneers in their own right. An early type of flatbed printing machine was known simply as a Cossar.
So will such elaborate designs ever be created to honour the pioneers of internet blogging? Answers on a postcard please.