Witness the recent stushie over the Red Road Flats.
Sadly, that was as true in 1980 as it is today, when the city council demolished Alexander 'Greek' Thomson's magnificent Queen's Park Terrace, above.
Built between 1856 and 1860, it was 1104-feet long and stood on Eglinton Street, between Devon Street and Turriff Street, and was anchored at either end by a pub: the Devon, above, at the northern end, and the Gordon at the other.
The site lay empty for years after the demolition.
Today, the flyover of the M74 extension bisects the site, bringing thundering traffic to an area that was once home to hundreds of families.