These freezing folk had gathered at Glasgow's Tradeston Gas Works, in Kilbirnie Street, in the hope of laying their hands on some coal.
Wrapped up against the cold, enterprising Glaswegians employed old prams, bogies and home-made carts to carry their clarty cargo home.
The gas works, built in 1835, supplied most of the South Side of Glasgow. It was also the scene, in 1883, of a terrorist bomb attack, when campaigners for Irish independence blew up one of the site's gasometers. The explosion was felt several miles away, and adjacent properties were damaged when the flames spread to them.