Built as a furniture warehouse in 1872, architect John Honeyman based his design on the "Golden House" in Venice.
The building became known as the Ca' D'Oro in 1927, when a restaurant of that name opened in a new, roof-top extension of the building.
Back then, the patrons of the luncheon room on the 2nd floor were entertained by a live orchestra. The gentlemen could then retire to the smoking rooms on the floor above. The roof-top banqueting hall was converted into a popular ballroom in the 1950s.
Thanks to the building's cast iron frame, the 1986 fire didn't destroy it. It was restored to its former glory and reopened, as a book shop, in 1989.