The liner, built on Tyneside in 1931, carried passengers on the New York-Bermuda run until the war broke out.
Among her wartime exploits; she brought the first Canadian soldiers to Scotland; took part in the Norway campaign, including the 1940 Narvik Raid; shipped Britain's gold reserves to Canada for safe keeping; and was involved in the invasion of North Africa.
After the war, the ship was used to carry many British GI Brides to Canada.
In 1947, following a near disastrous fire, she was refitted on the Forth and used to carry emigrants from the UK to Australia.
She was eventually scrapped, in Spain, in 1966.