These twisted girders and blackened brickwork was all that was left of the original Barrowland Ballroom after fire ripped through the venue in August 1958.
Opened by Barras market owner Maggie McIver in 1934, the original hall had market stalls beneath it and proved a great hit with the East End's dance-mad youngsters.
The house band, Billy McGregor and the Gaybirds, could play everything from waltzes and quick steps to tangos and foxtrots. Come the 1940s, when the Yanks arrived (late) for the war, they stepped up a gear to include jitterbug jazz in their set.
After this fire, the McIver family rebuilt the hall, bigger and better. It reopened on Christmas Eve 1960 and the ballroom has been packing them in ever since.