Opened in 1920, the red sandstone Langlands Road building was a landmark for generations of Govanites
At the time of the blaze, senior pupils had just finished sitting their Higher exams and were looking forward to a lazy summer term. No such luck. Once the fire was out, and the building made safe, they were employed to retrieve what was salvageable; books, desks etc., and move them to the old Bellahouston Academy building, which then became Govan High for several years until a new school was built.
The fire, according to local legend, was apparently caused by workmen using blow lamps on the roof.
The new Govan High in Pirie Park was opened by Anthony Hepper, chairman of Upper Clyde Shipbuilders, on March 26, 1969.