LOUIS Oosthuizen today predicted he will launch a far stronger challenge in The Open than last season – thanks to his Scottish Open bid.
Oosthuizen made a poor defence of the Major at Royal St George's last year and finished in a tie for 54th place.
But the South African, a shock winner of the Claret Jug at St Andrews in 2010, had not warmed up for the event by playing at Castle Stuart 12 months ago.
He said: "It was tough in the Scottish Open on Sunday. I was hoping I could challenge for the title, but, unfortunately, I didn't play well. It was disappointing.
"Having said that, I am glad we had one round in difficult conditions up at Inverness because we are going to get that weather at Royal Lytham.
"Overall, it was a very good week for me ahead of The Open. I managed to reacquaint myself with linksland golf at Castle Stuart. I think it was really beneficial."