The curator of Glasgow's Police Museum has spoken of his "devastation" after being given just over three weeks to close it.
Former police inspector Alastair Dinsmor has been told to vacate the Turnbull Street premises and put the collection into storage by December 8.
The museum, which tells the story of Britain's oldest police force, has attracted 55,000 visitors in its seven years and this won a three-star award from tourism group VisitScotland.
Mr Dinsmor, who is the chairman of the Glasgow Police Heritage Society, said: "The City Council is closing the building and has given us three weeks to pack up. It's a disaster.
"We've been working hard to make the museum a place for Glaswegians to be proud of. I can't believe our hard work over the years is coming to nothing.
"Visitors from around the globe have told us how much they love what we do here."
The museum's exhibits include police uniforms and memorabilia, and 7000 badges and other items from forces all over the world.
It is based in the B-listed District Court No.1 buildings in St Andrew's Square, which celebrated its centenary in 2006.
The buildings have links with some of the best-known crime cases in the city's history. Infamous criminals such as Peter Manuel and Jimmy Boyle made their way there.
But a shake-up means an end to the District Court there. It deals with custody cases and will now be part of the new Glasgow and Strathkelvin Justice of the Peace Court nearby.
Mr Dinsmor said: "The problem is that the Scottish Courts Service are taking over the Districts Courts from the council but it does not want the old court.
"The building requires attention after years of neglect, so rather than rectify the faults and maintain it with only our museum as tenants, they have served us with a Notice of Removal.
"Our only solution would be to find inferior accommodation in a shop unit in the city or put the museum into storage."
The Heritage Society, which runs the museum, had been working on a plan to renovate it as a Glasgow Police Heritage Centre, complete with court and cells, and an educational area.
A council spokesman said: "We can't confirm at present if Mr Dinsmor has received a notice but if he has, it was probably from the District Court.
"There are no plans for the building, not least because parts of it are in such poor condition that renovation work would be necessary before it could be re-occupied.
"It could not continue in isolation. Mr Dinsmor was offered alternative accommodation."