THREE people needed hospital treatment after being rescued from a blaze in a Glasgow tenement.

Firefighters rescued four people from the building in Paisley Road West, Cessnock, after flames and thick smoke were seen coming from the bedroom window of a first floor flat.

It is understood the fire was sparked by an electrical fault in a child's bedroom, but the youngster was not there at the time.

As reported in later editions of yesterday's Evening Times, it was believed people were still in the three-storey building when firefighters received calls at about 9.15am.

Two men and two women were rescued from several homes.

Fire crews provided medical treatment to a man suffering moderate burns to his hands and arms as well as slight smoke inhalation.

A second man and two women, all from other properties, were also treated after breathing in smoke.

Two of the men and one woman were then taken to the Southern General Hospital.

A 36-year-old shopkeeper, who did not want to be named, said: "It was a very big fire, with flames coming out of the windows.

"The windows have been smashed but the building is fine."

A spokesman for Strathclyde Fire & Rescue said: "This incident resulted in significant smoke damage to flats throughout the building.

"That is a stark reminder of the danger smoke presents and the vital need for every household to have at least one working smoke alarm, which will give families the time they need to get to safety."

To arrange a free Home Fire Safety Visit call. Strathclyde Fire and Rescue on 0800 0731 999 or text "check" to 61611.