A CITY architect is fighting back following the council's U-turn on the controversial £15million George Square makeover plans.
As reported in late editions of last night's Evening Times, John McAslan, who won a design competition organised by the city council to redesign George Square, outlined his plans at a public meeting.
More than 40 people attended the event in the Merchant City.
Mr McAslan, who will meet with council leader Gordon Matheson next Monday, insists he has not come up with a definitive new design, only a sketch aimed at encouraging discussion.
The architect said: "I will present the ideas discussed to Councillor Matheson next week.
"It is clear from today's meeting there is strong support for changes to be made to the Square."
Mr McAslan said: "The meeting is all about having a discussion about George Square with the people who have attended.
"The key points discussed were to do with the space, the Tarmac finish, and the planting."
Among the concerns raised by the audience were the original proposal to remove the statues and a need for more grassed areas.
Other residents said they wanted George Square to be used more as a "civic square" rather than for commercial purposes.
The architect's plan was chosen by a panel of judges last month after a design competition.
But within minutes of the winner being announced, Mr Matheson said the square revamp plan had been scrapped.
He insisted the public did not want radical changes and, instead, only a minor upgrade would be carried out for the Commonwealth Games.