The film, which has already garnered 10 Bafta nominations, was crowned best movie drama at the Golden Globes earlier this week.
Its stars, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Michael Fassbender, were nominated for best actor and best supporting actor respectively.
Other nominees in what is a strong year for British talent include Judi Dench who was nominated for the best actress Oscar for Philomena.
The film, based on the true story of a woman's search for the son she was forced to give up for adoption in 1950s' Ireland, is also shortlisted for best picture and Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope pick up a nod for best adapted screenplay.
Irish rockers U2 are nominated for best original song for Ordinary Love from Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.
Sally Hawkins is nominated for best supporting actress for her work in Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine.
The same film gets Cate Blanchett a nomination for best actress.
Other contenders for the main awards include crime caper American Hustle, which is nominated for best picture and also gets nods for Christian Bale for best actor and Amy Adams for best actress.
Their co-stars Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are nominated for best supporting actor and actress.
Martin Scorsese's The Wolf Of Wall Street picked up nominations for best picture and best director with two of its stars, Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill, recognised in the best actor and best supporting actor categories.
Another of the cast, Matthew McConaughey, is recognised for his work in Aids drama Dallas Buyers Club with a nomination for best actor while his co-star Jared Leto is nominated for best supporting actor.
Also nominated in that category is Barkhad Abdi for his performance in modern-day pirate drama Captain Phillips, but its British director Paul Greengrass and main star Tom Hanks miss out.
The best actress category sees nods for Gravity star Sandra Bullock and Meryl Streep in August: Osage County.
Streep's co-star Julia Roberts is nominated for best supporting actress, as are Lupita Nyong'o for 12 Years A Slave and June Squibb for Nebraska.
The same film sees a best actor nod for veteran star Bruce Dern - the father of Wild At Heart star Laura.
Dame Judi said: "This is just the loveliest news. I'm so happy for everybody involved, and so proud to have been part of the wonderful experience that Philomena has been."
The ceremony, in Los Angeles on Sunday March 2, will be hosted by Ellen DeGeneres.
The nominations for the 86th Academy Awards were announced today. Here are the contenders for the main categories:
Performance by an actor in a leading role:
- Christian Bale for American Hustle
- Bruce Dern for Nebraska
- Leonardo DiCaprio for The Wolf of Wall Street
- Chiwetel Ejiofor for 12 Years a Slave
- Matthew McConaughey for Dallas Buyers Club
Performance by an actress in a leading role:
- Amy Adams for American Hustle
- Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine
- Sandra Bullock for Gravity
- Judi Dench for Philomena
- Meryl Streep for August: Osage County
Performance by an actor in a supporting role:
- Barkhad Abdi for Captain Phillips
- Bradley Cooper for American Hustle
- Michael Fassbender for 12 Years a Slave
- Jonah Hill for The Wolf of Wall Street
- Jared Leto for Dallas Buyers Club
Performance by an actress in a supporting role:
- Sally Hawkins for Blue Jasmine
- Jennifer Lawrence for American Hustle
- Lupita Nyong'o for 12 Years a Slave
- Julia Roberts for August: Osage County
- June Squibb for Nebraska
Achievement in directing:
- David O. Russell for American Hustle
- Alfonso Cuaron for Gravity
- Alexander Payne for Nebraska
- Steve McQueen for 12 Years A Slave
- Martin Scorsese for The Wolf of Wall Street
Best motion picture of the year:
- American Hustle
- Captain Phillips
- Dallas Buyers Club
- 12 Years a Slave
- The Wolf of Wall Street
Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score):
- John Williams for The Book Thief
- Steven Price for Gravity
- William Butler and Owen Pallett for Her
- Alexandre Desplat for Philomena
- Thomas Newman for Saving Mr Banks
Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song):
- Bruce Broughton and Dennis Spiegel for Alone Yet Not Alone from Alone Yet Not Alone
- Pharrell Williams for Happy from Despicable Me 2
- Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez for Let It Go from Frozen
- Karen O and Spike Jonze for The Moon Song from Her
- U2 for Ordinary Love from Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
- Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke for Before Midnight
- Billy Ray for Captain Phillips
- Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope for Philomena
- John Ridley for 12 Years a Slave
- Terence Winter for The Wolf of Wall Street
- Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell for American Hustle
- Woody Allen for Blue Jasmine
- Craig Borten and Melisa Wallack for Dallas Buyers Club
- Spike Jonze for Her
- Bob Nelson for Nebraska