TRIBUTES today poured in for a schoolgirl who died following a suspected drug incident at a Glasgow nightclub.

Regane MacColl, 17, a sixth-year pupil at St Peter the Apostle High School, in Clydebank, fell ill at The Arches on Saturday and died in the early hours of yesterday.

A further four people in west central Scotland were admitted to hospital when they became ill after taking drugs.

Police say red "mortal kombat" pills with a dragon stamped on them could be the common link between these incidents and they have issued a warning about the tablets.

Today, St Peter the Apostle High School head teacher

Linda Booth described the teenager as "popular, hard-working and enthusiastic".

She said: "Our whole school community feels a deep sense of grief and our thoughts and prayers are with Regane's family and friends at this devastating time.

"Regane was a popular, hard-working and enthusiastic pupil and staff always found her to be pleasant and well mannered. This is a real tragedy, for a girl who I'm sure would have gone on to achieve so much in her life."

Ms Booth said the school was doing everything it could to support the pupils and staff.

West Dunbartonshire Council said it provided drug awareness education appropriate to the ages of its pupil.

Regane's family were today at their home in a quiet residential area of Duntocher and too upset to speak about the tragedy.

A local shop worker who knew Regane, but asked not to be named, described her as "bubbly, clever and pretty".

She added: "She was just lovely. The family will be devastated. She was so close to her mum. I just saw her mum on Friday. It will be a terrible loss to her family and the community."

Local councillor Jim Finn said: "Duntocher is close knit. It's a village and everyone knows each other.

"I'm sure the family will be supported - we are all thinking of the family and her school friends at this time."

One woman, aged 19, and understood to be a university student, was admitted to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

She had also been at The Arches. A further three men aged 18, 26 and 27 were admitted to Crosshouse Hospital in Kilmarnock over the weekend.

Police Scotland said it was still unclear what caused Regane's death and a post mortem will be carried out.

Regane had worked in Tanzania and had dreamt of returning.

Detective Inspector Sharon MacGregor said: "Illicit drugs are unstable, unpredictable and extremely dangerous."

The Arches said it was working closely with Police Scotland. A club spokesman said: "Our sincere condolences go to the young woman's family.

"We are working with Police Scotland to assist them in any way we can with their inquiries into this tragic incident."