The bereaved ­relatives of a young man who was killed after he was hit by a car on a pedestrian crossing have been awarded more than £100,000 damages.

A judge paid tribute to the victim, Gavin Currie, and said he was "a fine young man with good employment prospects and a happy and settled family life".

His death, he said, had caused "deep grief and upset to all those close to him".

Mr Currie, 25, died after he was struck by a vehicle as he walked over the crossing at Main Street, Neilston, Renfrewshire, on ­December 28, 2011.

His mother and father, Margaret, 60, and James, 62, of Harelaw Avenue, Neilston, and his older brother Euan, 30, sued the insurers of the driver, Lorraine Bruce, for damages at the Court of Session in Edinburgh following the incident.

Esure Services Ltd, of Reigate, Surrey, ­admitted liability in the case but the judge, Lady Wise, was left to assess what should be just compensation for loss of society, mainly the grief and sorrow suffered by the parents and brother.

She said: "The deceased in the present case was indisputably close both to his parents and to his older brother Euan."

"However, he had gained some independence in the years leading up to his death in that he had worked away from home, had formed a serious relationship and it seems likely in the fullness of time he would have left the family home completely, married and started a family of his own," she said.

"While the pursuers (the relatives) have countless happy memories of Gavin's childhood and young adulthood, they have lost their expected years of further companionship and closeness that on the evidence it is likely would have continued to exist," she said.

Lady Wise added: "Self-evidently, any award made to the pursuers will do nothing to reduce their level of grief."

The judge awarded £42,000 to each parent and a further £22,500 to the victim's older brother. A further £7211 was awarded to Mr Currie as his late son's executor.

The victim had been watching football with friends and they had gone for a drink. He had gone to get money from a cash machine when the incident took place.

His mother told the court she could not come to terms with the loss of her son and had been unable to remove his clothes from his room.