TWO teenagers have been detained for six months for stealing cash and alcohol from Glasgow's Clutha bar weeks after a police helicopter crash that killed 10 people.

Jordan Parry, 16, and Darren Melrose, 18, admitted stealing alcohol and £171 in cash from three charity tins, along with 17-year-old Charmaine Holmes.

They committed the offence on December 17, less than three weeks after the police helicopter crashed through the pub roof.

Parry and Melrose were locked up for six months by Glasgow Sheriff Court yesterday and Holmes was told she must complete a community payback order.

Sheriff Joseph Platt said their crime will have led to feelings of "disgust" among the public.

He said: "That will go nowhere near to describing the feelings of those who lost loved ones in the incident.

"The Crown has stated that the sum of cash involved is £171.

"While that is not a particularly large amount it was nonetheless money which was taken from donations presumably by customers of the pub to charitable causes."

He added: "That in itself makes the theft more serious."

A previous hearing was told how the trio were spotted hanging around the pub by Edward Kirkland at about 2.20am on December 17. He was standing near flowers at the edge of the Clydeside, while paying respects to a friend who died in the crash.

Mr Kirkland walked to the Euro Hostel in Clyde Street and contacted the police.

CCTV operators were alerted and they observed the group gaining access to the pub and then leaving with carrier bags.

They were then spotted heading along the River Clyde.

The court heard that the offenders had each had a difficult upbringing and had spent time in care.

Melrose has previously been convicted of assault.

The six-month terms were backdated to December 18 when the three were taken into custody. All three pleaded guilty to breaking into the pub, while acting with another.

The probe is continuing into the Eurocopter crash. The Air Accidents Investigation Branch said the aircraft suffered a double engine failure.