A MAN was rescued from a kitchen blaze in Glasgow's South Side.

Firefighters were called to the property in Glen Loy Place, Darnley, at 8.30pm on Wednesday.

The incident commander ordered a team in breathing apparatus to force entry to the flat and conduct a search-and-rescue operation.

The man was found inside, taken to safety and treated for slight smoke inhalation.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said he was passed to the care of paramedics who provided further treatment but he refused to attend hospital.

Station manager Callum Orr said: "Kitchen fires are the most common type of fire within homes and this incident is a clear example of why we all need to take action to prevent tragedies.

"The simple fact is that fires start when our attention stops. It's easy to become distracted."