A FAMILY including a young child and a baby were rescued today after a major blaze broke out in the East End of Glasgow.

A woman, her husband, and two young sons were saved from the burning building in Parkhead this morning.

Their home has been left severely damaged after fire raged through the block of townhouses.

The blaze broke out in their neighbour’s house in Belvidere Terrace at around 8.30am today.

Two occupants - believed to be men - were rushed to nearby Glasgow Royal Infirmary. The pair received treatment for smoke inhalation.

Fire crews raced to the scene after the alarm was raised by a 999 call.

The fire raged from early this morning, destroying the property’s roof, and was still smouldering at around lunchtime.

At the height of the blaze, around six fire engines were called out and major incident unit were on the scene.

The 28-year-old mother, who did not wish to be named, said: “It’s my next door neighbours house that is on fire, but ours is also badly damaged from the fire and water.

“I live with my husband and two sons, and we were all home when it happened.

“It’s very frightening, but at least the kids and everyone are fine. We can’t even get in to see how bad the damage is.

“It’s frightening, especially when we were all at home.

“Suddenly there was banging at the door and we were told we had to get out. We grabbed the kids and got out.” 

She said her four-year-old son and baby boy had been taken to stay with relatives.

Part of Belvidere Terrace remained closed today as firefighters investigated the cause of the blaze. 

Blackened debris - including a baby’s pram - lay on the street below.

A spokesman for Scottish Fire and Rescue said: “We were called to and are currently in attendance at a significant fire in Belvedere Terrace, Glasgow.

“On arrival the crews were faced with a well developed fire in the second floor and roof space, which has partially collapsed, of a property.

“Enquiries are continuing.”

Homes on either side of the building were evacuated as a precautionary measure. A large section of the quiet residential road was cordoned off.

Appliances from fire stations across the city were quickly mobilised.

The blaze was brought under control by high volume water jets being directed from a high reach fire appliance and firefighters entering the building with hand held hose lines.