THE victim of a vicious sex attack in Glasgow has spoken of her ordeal and told how flashbacks kept her awake at night.

The 26-year-old was targeted when she stopped to answer her phone outside a pub in Govanhill at 11.45pm.

She was grabbed from behind, thrown against a car and dragged towards a tenement close before people alerted by her screams rushed to help.

The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was walking towards the Life O' Reilly pub in Dixon Avenue with a group of friends when she was targeted.

She said: "My phone rang so I stopped outside to answer it."

Her friends walked on into the pub while she stayed outside.

The woman said: "I heard his footsteps as he ran up behind me.

"He grabbed my chest and had me pinned up against a car so I couldn't move my hands. Then he pulled me towards the close.

"I managed to get away from him for a second, then he got me again and kept dragging me towards the close.

"For such a short guy he was so strong. I couldn't do anything.

"I kept screaming and screaming and, luckily, people in the pub heard me and when they came out he ran off. If it hadn't been for them, I would have been raped."

The woman escaped with cuts and bruises and did not need hospital treatment but she is still not over her ordeal.

She said: "It was terrifying and I didn't sleep for a month after it. I had to get tablets from the doctor. I didn't want to go out.

"I wouldn't walk about myself before that happened, but it's worse now because it shows it can happen even if you are with people."

In the days after the attack on February 23 the woman was interviewed by police and an appeal for witnesses was made. However, no arrests have been made.

She said: "I identified him from CCTV. The image police had was so clear. They said they would do all they can to help.

"Police said they would definitely find him because of the route he took - the way the cameras were situated, they should be able to see where he went. But I have not heard a thing since. I thought they would keep me updated.

"Obviously they have not caught anybody yet so I think these attacks will keep happening. These predators are going to keep doing it until people are jailed."

The authorities have issued a fresh appeal for information after the Evening Times contacted police. Officers have also visited the victim and told her the investigation is continuing.

Detective Superintendent Peter McPike said: "We treat every reported crime seriously and none more so than reports of sexual crimes.

"Officers from the Divisional Rape Investigation Unit are continuing inquiries into this incicent."

The attacker was described by police as "Eastern European", in his mid-20s, and about 5ft 7in with dark, spiky hair. He was wearing a light top, slim jeans and trainers.

Anyone with information is asked to call 101.