Former No 10 spin doctor Andy Coulson's legal woes continued today when he was told he would face a re-trial over charges of plotting to bribe corrupt officials while he was an editor at the News of the World.
Last week a jury was discharged after it failed to agree on whether Coulson, 46, and ex-NotW royal editor Clive Goodman, 56, conspired to commit misconduct in public office by paying police officers for two royal directories.
But today the Crown Prosecution Service announced it would still pursue both defendants over the two counts.
Prosecutor Andrew Edis QC said: "The CPS has taken the position to proceed with the retrial."
Coulson, of Charing in Kent, already faces jail after the jury found him guilty of plotting to hack phones at the NotW between 2000 and 2006 following the Old Bailey trial which went on for 139 days.
Goodman, of Addlestone, Surrey, pleaded guilty to phone hacking in 2006 and despite admitting his activities were more extensive than he had previously said, he will not face any further legal action over it.
Coulson was joined in the dock by private detective Glenn Mulcaire and four former NotW journalists who have all admitted their part in phone hacking at hearings before the trial began.
Lawyers are expected to mitigate for the defendants before Mr Justice Saunders hands down sentences on Friday.