MORE than 100 residents had to leave their homes after electrical work sparked an asbestos scare.

Work by Scottish Power at Anderston Tower, in Motherwell, is thought to have disturbed asbestos.

North Lanarkshire Council evacuated the building as a precautionary measure.

Council workers carried out air quality testing and decided to remove tenants for the night to allow staff to carry out investigations.

A spokesman for North Lanarkshire Council said: "Initial testing has shown a number of positive results within the building.

"While we do not believe that there is any immediate risk to health, the wellbeing of our tenants is our priority."