FIRE chiefs issued a warning about the dangers of leaving mobile phones charging overnight after a Scots schoolboy had to be rescued from a blaze in his bedroom.

The boy was injured and had to be taken to hospital with burns yesterday after his mobile charger overheated and burst into flames.

Fire chief Shaun Burns said: "The fire was caused by an overheated mobile phone charger which had been left charging on the bed.

"It had overheated to such an extent that the bedding caught fire and caused burn injuries to the young boy in the room.

"We can't stress enough how important it is to unplug mobile chargers before you go to bed."

The incident happened in Elgin, Moray.