AN elderly woman was taken to hospital following a fire at a flat in Glasgow's South Side.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus rescued the woman from her Allison Street home at 10.30am on Tuesday before giving her oxygen therapy.

She was then passed to the care of paramedics and taken to Victoria Infirmary.

A spokesman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: "A high pressure water jet was used to extinguish a small fire within the Govanhill property and the firefighters led the woman to safety.

"She appeared to be suffering from slight smoke inhalation."