A WOMAN was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire in North Lanarkshire.

Two fire crews attended the kitchen blaze at Fife Drive, Motherwell, at 5.10pm, and entered the flat in breathing apparatus.

The woman, who fire bosses said was "frightened" by her ordeal, was treated at the scene with oxygen therapy.

However, she did not require hospital treatment following Tuesday's incident.

Station Manager Tom Sinton said: "Thankfully this incident did not result in serious injury but it does show how frightening it is to experience even a small fire in the home.

"It can happen to any of us - just a moment's distraction when we're cooking is all it takes for a fire to start."