A family has been left devastated after three dogs died of suspected poisoning within a few days of each other.

Much-loved Staffordshire bull terriers Diesel, Crystal and Buddha died after eating what the family says they believe was chicken that had been laced with anti-freeze, which had been thrown into their back garden.

Karen Welsh, of Springburn in Glasgow, and her two children Kelci, 14, and Xander, 10, are mourning the loss of the pets who died one after another.

Her devastated sister, Lisa Nisbet, said that the youngest, Buddha, who would have turned two in July, was the first to go on Thursday, April 7.

She said: “Buddha got poorly and started feeling sick.

“My sister took Buddha to the vet who ran a blood test, which revealed the kidneys had failed.”

Little more than a week later, on Friday, April 15, Diesel, who was 10 years old, showed signs of being affected by the same problem that had bothered Buddha.

Attempts were made to save Diesel at the vets, where a central line with vodka, which counteracts the effect of the anti-freeze, was used.

But the animal failed to improve.

Lisa added: “He was sick too and his blood test showed he had anti-freeze in his system.

“He had two seizures and his kidneys also failed before he died.”

The heartbroken family initially thought Crystal, who is Buddha’s mum, was grieving when she appeared to be unwell.

Lisa said: “She was just so sad, Karen took her up to the vets to be on the safe side as she thought Crystal had a broken heart over losing the other dogs.

“But she was told the same thing and Crystal was the last dog to be put down.”

The family took the dog home first to say goodbye and Lisa admits the whole neighbourhood was devastated.

“It was the saddest thing I have seen in my life,” she said.

The distraught family have since been in contact with the police to explain their suspicions about the circumstances of their dogs’ deaths.

Lisa said: “They all had different personalities.

“Diesel would talk back, Crystal had the most beautiful smile, she was such a mammy and Buddy was cheeky.

“I would hate this to happen to another family, they were great pets and well behaved.

“I don’t know how someone can be so cruel.”

The family have also been landed with hefty vet bills after treatment for the pets ended up costing about £2000.

Lisa has launched a GoFundMe to help cover the costs her sister has incurred.

Lisa said: “The whole family is heartbroken. My sister is devastated.”

A police spokesman confirmed they are investigating the incident after they were informed of the first two dogs dying.

The spokesman said: “We can confirm that police have received a report of dogs having being poisoned by anti-freeze sometime between April 7 and 14 and that police inquiries are continuing into this.

“Police have been informed that dogs have died as a result.”

You can donate to the GoFundMe here