Clutha helicopter had double engine failure

The Glasgow pub helicopter tragedy which claimed 10 lives happened after both engines on the aircraft failed, an interim accident report has ­revealed.

Loading Comments
The helicopter that crashed into the Clutha bar suffered a double engine failure
The helicopter that crashed into the Clutha bar suffered a double engine failure

And air accident investigators today admitted they still don't know what caused the helicopter to lose power and crash on to the roof of the ­Clutha Bar.

The accident happened on November 29 when the busy nightspot was packed with revellers.

A special bulletin from the Air Accidents Investigation Branch has revealed a series of alarms were triggered ­inside the cockpit minutes ­before the crash.

They included low fuel warnings for left and right fuel supply tanks triggered by thermal sensors in the tanks.

They are normally activated when there 32kg and 28kg of fuel left in the left and right tanks respectively.

The report also revealed that both helicopter engines stopped despite rigorous checks confirming there were no blockages between the ­engines and the fuel tanks.

It also said rotor blades should have automatically continued working during the emergency but instead they failed to "autorotate".

Investigators also uncovered a fault on the internal display panel but have not given details and are currently probing the fault. They have established the helicopter was using its reserve fuel supply but there should of been enough for it to return to its city base.

The report said: "In particular, the investigation will seek to determine why a situation arose that led to both the helicopter's engines flaming out when 76kg of fuel remained in the fuel tank group."

It will also try to find out why no emergency radio transmission was received from the pilot and why, following the double engine failure, an autorotative descent and flare ­recovery was not achieved.

The pilot who died was ­David Traill and his passengers were Pc Kirsty Nelis and Pc Tony Collins.

More than 100 people were in the popular city centre bar, near the River Clyde, at the time of the crash.

Those killed in the pub were John McGarrigle, 57, Mark O'Prey, 44, Gary Arthur, 48, Colin Gibson, 33, Robert Jenkins, 61, and Samuel McGhee, 56.

Customer Joe Cusker, 59, was pulled from the wreckage alive but died in hospital from his injuries almost two weeks later. In total, more than 30 people were taken to hospital after the crash.

Transport Tragedy

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on Evening Times on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis. If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.


Have you got a story?

Contact the news desk on 0141 302 6520 or email
Michelle McManus

Michelle McManus

Sussed in the City

I started to think I’d gone colour blind...




Janice Bell

Janice Bell

You couldn’t make up half the stuff that happens to PA Janice Bell- some of the jams she gets herself into are worth a story or two.

Games news:

Putting the world to rights

Gail's Gab

MPs salaries and Andy Murray, watch yerself in Miami.

Cat’s Eyes on Glasgow

Cat’s Eyes on Glasgow

Cat Cubie’s job is to find and share with you the fabulous things the city has to offer, from gigs to gastro.