Firefighters fought the blaze in a flat, at the upper floors of the Brandon Court high rise block in Motherwell at around 12pm on Thursday.
The fire started after a chip pan on the cooker was accidentally switched on, the fire service said.
A large amount of smoke filled the kitchen and a man and a woman suffered smoke inhalation as a result.
They were taken to Wishaw General Hospital for precautionary check-ups.
Watch manager Robert McNaughton said: "A small fire in a chip pan had caused a large amount of smoke to fill the kitchen.
"Thankfully this home was protected by a working smoke alarm and the residents had the presence to mind to get out, closing the kitchen door behind them as they left, and call us out."