The fire at the WRC plant in Johnstone, Renfrewshire, took 80 firefighters several hours to control, and forced the closure of the near-by Ayrshire to Glasgow rail line.
Now campaigners, including retired fire officer George Kennedy, have written to the First Minister demanding action.
In the aftermath of the blaze, Mr Kennedy told the Evening Times it was only a matter of luck that the prevailing wind on the night of January 21 prevented smoke from blanketing the town.
Local MSP Hugh Henry, who passed on locals' concerns, said: "Residents remain concerned about the potential for another fire, particularly since more waste is now being stockpiled on the site.
"I have asked for a response to each of the points Mr Kennedy raises."
In his letter, Mr Kennedy writes: "Alex Salmond (should) be made aware of the ticking time bomb that is WRC's next fire in waiting.
"In the relatively short time since the fire, WRC has managed to stockpile once more a similar, or even greater amount of flammable materials.
"As long as this situation continues the potential for a further serious disaster is, in the short-term, extremely likely."
Mr Kennedy insists that he has been warning of the danger posed by the site since February 2011. He added: "I detailed very accurately what would happen and that is exactly what did happen."
No-one was hurt in the January blaze, but a spokeswoman for Strathclyde Police said the fire was being treated as wilful and that inquiries were on-going.
A Scottish Government spokeswoman said: "We have received the letter and we will respond shortly.
"Last month Planning Minister, Derek Mackay, met with Hugh Henry MSP and stakeholders including Renfrewshire Council, SEPA, Strathclyde Police, Strathclyde Fire and Rescue to discuss the implications of the Johnstone fire, and to take steps to ensure we learn lessons from this unfortunate incident."
WRC Recycling declined to comment.