City council leader Gordon Matheson told the Labour Party conference in Brighton today that 250 posts have been identified since the scheme was launched a month ago.
The Glasgow Veterans Employment Programme, which is backed by the council and forces charities, pays a wage subsidy to city employers taking on unemployed ex forces personnel.
They are also able to get advice and training as well as support in translating their skills to the civilian jobs market.
The single biggest commitment has come from First Bus, which has promised 150 driving jobs.
The UK's only dedicated employment scheme for veterans has also been backed by national employers including Sainsbury's, Marks & Spencer and Holiday Inn.
Almost 70 of the pledged jobs are now available and nine veterans have already started work.
Mr Matheson told the conference: "If you have fought for your country, you shouldn't have to fight for a job when your service ends.
"Our armed forces render extraordinary service to their country, making huge personal sacrifices, and that should not go unnoticed.
"Veterans have incredible skills and experience that can make a significant contribution to our society.
"I am delighted to announce we have had 250 job pledges from employers across the city, with some veterans already having started full-time employment. And all these posts will pay at least the Glasgow Living Wage of £7.50 per hour.
"We are the first local authority in the UK to provide this level of support. Glasgow is once again leading the way but I hope others will follow. It is the very least veterans deserve."
The project is available to veterans who would not otherwise qualify for employment support from existing schemes, such as the Commonwealth Jobs Fund.
That means all unemployed veterans will now be able to benefit from the Glasgow Guarantee - a £50 million package put together by the city council to secure work, an apprenticeship or further training for thousands of Glaswegians.
Mr Matheson told delegates that hundreds of veterans were already supported by Glasgow's Helping Heroes, with dozens seeking work.
Since 2010, the project has supported around 900 veterans - finding homes for nearly 300 and work, training or education for the same number.
It is expected around 60% of unemployed veterans will need assistance to transfer their skills and qualifications onto the recognised Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework and undertake training - the remaining 40% will need direct access to the wage subsidy programme, which is funded by the city council and an Armed Forces Community Covenant grant.