Occupants of La Crosse Terrace, Kelvinbridge, were left in their homes for nine hours after a staircase in the tenement block collapsed.
As reported in later editions of yesterday's Evening Times, six adults and one child were in the tenement when part of the stone staircase fell away in the early hours of Monday morning.
Fire crews were called to investigate after a friend of a resident reported the collapse at 2.25am.
Residents were advised to stay in their homes while a meeting between the council and fire officials took place.
They were not allowed to leave until 11.25am, by which time the stairs had been deemed unsafe. Fire fire crews had to evacuate the residents through a window.
Glasgow Kelvin MSP Sandra White said: "If it was deemed to be unsafe all those hours later then, obviously, it was unsafe throughout the night.
"The fire brigade really should be asked the question, why were people not evacuated immediately?
"It was lucky that it didn't collapse."
Two women and one man were rescued from a third floor window by fire officers using an aerial rescue pump.
A third woman was rescued by ladder.
It is understood that one step from the tenement's communal stone staircase had fallen, between the first and second floor, causing damage to the staircase.
A fire service spokesman said structural engineers were consulted to see if the stairways could be made safe.
But, it was deemed safer for firefighters to rescue occupants through the windows.
No one was injured and all residents have found alternative accommodation.
A spokesman from Scottish Fire and Rescue said: "The incident commander took into consideration the well-being of residents and decided not to remove families from their homes during the early hours of the morning when there was absolutely no reason to do so.
"A high reach appliance was standing by throughout to ensure those inside could be taken out via the windows if it became necessary, but engineers were consulted to see if the stairway could be made safe.
"The safety of those inside the building was the primary concern of everyone involved and, when it became clear a safe alternative could not be found, firefighters removed those on the upper floors via the window."
A Glasgow City Council spokesman said: "On the evening of September 8, the close staircase began to fall away in this tenement.
"As a result the residents were evacuated and the building and staircase is now propped up and has been deemed a dangerous building."