Passengers enjoy comedy training

WEARY train passengers had their spirits lifted when a group of comics boarded a London to Glasgow service.

Loading Comments
Host Bruce Devlin was first up on the journey from London to Glasgow
Host Bruce Devlin was first up on the journey from London to Glasgow

Virgin's London to Glasgow intercity service pulled out of Euston Station yesterday with eight comedians on board, determined to put more than a few smiles on the faces of 500 passengers.

This first-ever comedy performance on a high speed train was hosted by Bruce Devlin and featured Glasgow Comedy Festival stars Patrick Monahan, John Hastings, Damian Clark, Jojo Sutherland, Ray Bradshaw, John Gavin and Phil Nichol.

The event, part of a bold attempt to highlight the Comedy Festival - and advertise that those attending gigs are entitled to 20% off advance tickets to and from Glasgow with Virgin Trains - gave a whole new meaning to the term 'comedy training'.

Bruce Devlin's clever musings saw the specially-convened comedy carriage power into life as the train hurtled past Watford, followed by a high-speed Aussie comedian Damian Clark who had the travellers laughing with jokes about Aussie and Brit time expressions.

Canadian John Hastings was quickly on a roll poking fun at some passengers. He said to one, to me in fact: "You're a white cat away from being a Bond villain."

Patrick Monahan had the older people in laughing as he talked of growing old.

"Old people eventually become 98% fluid," he claimed. "The other 2% biscuit."

The verdict?

The unique stunt certainly went down a treat with the passengers.

Arts and Entertainment

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on Evening Times on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis. If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.


Have you got a story?

Contact the news desk on 0141 302 6520 or email
A weekly round up of social highlights

A weekly round up of social highlights

Cat's Eyes on Glasgow

The Glaswegian who makes music for the movies, hot dogs at Kitty O’Shea’s washed down with a visit to the Juice Gardens

Times Out



TV Advert
Gail’s Gab

Gail’s Gab

Gail Sheridan is a mother-of-one and wife to Tommy and she likes to get political with the hot topic of the week in her column Gail’s Gab.

Michelle McManus

Michelle McManus

Sussed in the City

I laughed at viewers saying Broadchurch’s Tennant is too Scottish, are some people too lazy to listen?

Janice Bell

Janice Bell

You couldn’t make up half the stuff that happens to PA Janice Bell- some of the jams she gets herself into are worth a story or two.