The Clutha Tragedy: Last copter crash victims named

THE remaining four fatalities of the Glasgow helicopter crash have been named by police.

Loading Comments
  • The search operation at the Clutha came to an end after a busy and emotional day
  • The search operation at the Clutha came to an end after a busy and emotional day
  • The search operation at the Clutha came to an end after a busy and emotional day
  • The search operation at the Clutha came to an end after a busy and emotional day

They were identified as Robert Jenkins, 61 and Mark O'Prey, 44, both from East Kilbride in South Lanarkshire, 33-year-old Colin Gibson of Ayr, South Ayrshire, and John McGarrigle, 57, from Cumbernauld in North Lanarkshire.
A total of nine people died after a police helicopter crashed into the roof of the busy Clutha bar in the city on Friday night.

The confirmation of the last four names completes the formal identification of all those who died in the incident.
Two other victims who were inside the pub had already been named as 48-year-old Gary Arthur, from Paisley, and Samuel McGhee, 56, of Glasgow.
All three of the helicopter's crew died when the aircraft landed on the popular bar as it returned from a police operation at 10.25pm. They are pilot David Traill, 51, who died along with police officers Kirsty Nelis, 36, and Tony Collins, 43.
Confirmation of the names of all those who died came after officials revealed the search and recovery operation at the crash site has concluded.
The site is subject to an ongoing police investigation but management of the incident scene has been handed over to the city council.
Police Scotland deputy chief constable Rose Fitzpatrick said: "All nine names of those who died in the tragic incident last Friday in Glasgow have now been confirmed. Our thoughts first and foremost are with the families and friends of all those who have died. As our investigation continues we will of course go on providing support to the families involved.
"This has been a difficult and complex operation which has involved painstaking work and the skills of specialist personnel from across the emergency services. I would like to thank all those involved for their professionalism and respect with which they conducted this operation.
"I would also like to thank all those who have passed on their messages of sympathy and support. This continues to be of great comfort.
"The management of the incident has now been handed over to Glasgow City Council. The Police Scotland investigation, led by the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS), and the inquiry by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) both continue."

Flowers were last night still being laid by people paying tribute to those lost in the helicopter crash at the Clutha bar.

As emergency workers began winding down their tasks at the scene where nine people died, hundreds of bouquets were left as marks of respect.

Friends and family of those who were affected by the tragedy continued to make a pilgrimage to the Clydeside site.

Peter Creighton, 41, came to lay flowers in honour of his sister, Pauline, who has spent the past two days in intensive care.

The 25-year-old, who also has a twin sister, was crushed by the falling roof of the bar but was rescued by fire fighters.

Mr Creighton, from Cardonald, said: "Pauline is in a very bad way. She is out of intensive care now but she doesn't recognise any of us or remember what happened.

"She was completely crushed down one side so she has a lot of broken bones. It is just a complete shock to us. She's the baby of the family."

Work colleagues of Gary Arthur, the first of the victims to be named, also visited the site to lay flowers.

Mark Walton, the managing director of marketing firm Aquira, and colleague Grant Lesley, said Mr Arthur, 48, had worked with them for six weeks.

Mr Walton said: "Gary was a very popular member of staff and everyone is very shocked by his death.

"He was part of our marketing team but had been in the industry a long time and was well known and well liked. We are making sure counselling is available to his colleagues at this difficult time."

The tributes came as it emerged no mayday call was made by the helicopter crew before the crash.

Data recovered from the wreckage, which was lifted from the pub yesterday, revealed no emergency call was made, investigators said.

David Miller, deputy chief inspector of the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB), also said the aircraft did not have a flight data recorder - commonly known as a 'black box', on board.

It is understood that the helicopter descended vertically onto the roof of the building.

Speaking at the site of the crash just hours after the wrecked helicopter was hoisted from the roof by a crane, he said: "I can confirm that the helicopter does not have a copy voice recorder or a flight data recorder, commonly known as the black box.

"However, it does have a significant number of modern electronic systems on board.

"It may be possible to recover recorded data from those.

"I can confirm that nothing detached from the helicopter in flight before the accident and that all four rotor blades were attached to the rotor head after the impact.

"I can also confirm that there is no cause to connect this accident with any previous accidents to helicopters operating in the North Sea environment."

The helicopter is being transferred to the AAIB facilities in Farnborough, Aldershot, where a detailed examination will be carried out.

In accordance with international protocols, representatives from German and French accident investigation authorities and their advisors and the European Aviation Safety Agency and the UK Civil Aviation Authority will participate in the investigation.

Mr Miller said investigators had already obtained recorded radar data from the wrecked aircraft which allows them to see the height and the speed of the helicopter in the latter stages of the flight.

He added: "We have recorded radio information and I can confirm that there were no emergency transmissions from the pilot before this accident.

"As far as the helicopter is concerned, the systems do hold micro chips that have non-volatile memory in them and it may be possible to download that information from things such as the full authority digital electronic control systems that manage the engines.

"No emergency call was made but I cannot speculate on any other aspects of this because our investigation now is really just beginning.

"The helicopter has descended vertically onto the roof of the building and broken through the building to the rooms below."

Earlier, the remains of the final two known victims of the tragedy were transported by ambulance away from the scene.

Around 40 emergency service crew members lined the short distance between the edge of the barriers and the end of the cordon on Clyde Street.

Two private ambulances were led out by a police motorbike, closely followed by a grey 4x4.

Behind the barriers, a collection of large white marquees could be seen, and it was from one of these that the ambulances appeared.

The mood was sombre and subdued as the officers bowed their heads and saluted as the vehicles passed.

On nearby Albert Bridge, pedestrians stopped and went silent, joggers paused, and cars stopped.

A total of 11 people remain in hospital.

Police Scotland Deputy Chief Constable Rose Fitzpatrick said  that the search and recovery operation has now concluded and we are satisfied there are no further fatalities at the scene.

She said: "In total, nine people died as a result of the incident.

"The scene is subject to our ongoing police investigation, led by the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service, and the inquiry by the Air Accident Investigation Board.

"The management of the incident scene has now been handed over from the emergency services to Glasgow City Council."

Transport Tragedy

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on Evening Times on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis. If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.


Have you got a story?

Contact the news desk on 0141 302 6520 or email
            Michelle McManus            

Michelle McManus


Sussed in the City


Why women are better at spotting so called 'bluff' when it comes to the independence debate.

Free swim at a Glasgow Club pool for every reader - Click here



Janice Bell

Janice Bell

You couldn’t make up half the stuff that happens to PA Janice Bell- some of the jams she gets herself into are worth a story or two.

                Games news:                

Putting the world to rights


Gail's Gab


I am convinced Scotland will become independent in five months time.

Cat’s Eyes on Glasgow

Cat’s Eyes on Glasgow

Cat Cubie’s job is to find and share with you the fabulous things the city has to offer, from gigs to gastro.