Child taken to hospital after tenement blaze

A CHILD was taken to hospital and five other people were evacuated after an early morning blaze took hold in a north Glasgow tenement.

Loading Comments

Fire crews rushed to Hawthorn Street in Springburn after they received an emergency call around 7:20 am on Wednesday.

Although the burning property was empty, two men, two women and two children were led to safety from neighbouring flats.

One of the rescued children was treated for smoke inhalation before being taken to Yorkhill hospital in the west end, and the five others were checked at the scene.

Three vehicles from Springburn and Maryhill attended the blaze, which started when a discarded cigarette set fire to rubbish in a bin.

Station Manager John McKenna said: "Thankfully this incident did not cause a tragedy but, even where no-one is hurt, house fires can cause immense damage and the loss of cherished possessions.

"We need people to ensure cigarettes and other smoking materials are always properly put out."


Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on Evening Times on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis. If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.


Have you got a story?

Contact the news desk on 0141 302 6520 or email
Games news:

Putting the world to rights

Gail's Gab

MPs salaries and Andy Murray, watch yerself in Miami.

Times Out



Cat’s Eyes on Glasgow

Cat’s Eyes on Glasgow

Cat Cubie’s job is to find and share with you the fabulous things the city has to offer, from gigs to gastro.

Janice Bell

Janice Bell

You Couldn't Make This Up

Revenge, a dish best served up all chewy.

Michelle McManus

Michelle McManus

Columnist Michelle McManus is Sussed in the City, and loves to chat about anything and everything.