Initial investigations have revealed she may have taken a red 'mortal combat tablet' before collapsing at the Arches nightclub in Glasgow last night.
However it is unclear at this stage exactly what caused her death and a post mortem examination will be carried out in due course.
A further four people were admitted to hospital in separate incidents, when they became ill after taking drugs.
A 19-year-old woman was admitted to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary following a night out last night and three men aged 18, 26 and 27 received treatment at Crosshouse Hospital in Kilmarnock after being out on Friday.
A police investigation is underway and although the inquiry is at an early stage inquiries so far have revealed that a red 'mortal kombat' tablet with a dragon stamped on it could be the common link between these incidents.
Police Scotland continues to work with its partner agencies including health officials and medical staff in connection with this investigation.
Detective Inspector Sharon MacGregor said: "I can't stress enough how dangerous drugs are, sadly a young woman has died and several other young people are ill in hospital. Illicit drugs are unstable, unpredictable and extremely dangerous as this outcome shows, often the content of the drugs is unknown but they could contain dangerous chemicals and people need to understand the devastating effect they can have.
"I would strongly advise people to avoid illicit drugs and report any information to the police."
Glasgow Royal Infirmary Clinical Director of Emergency Medicine, Dr Alastair Ireland said: "We are deeply concerned about people taking this dangerous drug and cannot stress enough the effects they can cause including death.
"I would urge anyone who has taken one of these tablets and begins to feel unwell to seek immediate medical help."
Mr James Stevenson, A& E Consultant with Ayrshire and Arran added: "People who choose to take drugs are playing Russian roulette with their life.
"They have no way of knowing what they are taking, and as a result, some of them will die.
"I would appeal to young people, don't believe what you're being told by someone giving you drugs - there's no such thing as a safe, illicit drug, you could be swallowing anything.
"You can't tell what's in it by looking at it."